Monday, November 17, 2008

Virginia is for athletes...Nov 10

I guess you could say that I am biased but there are some interesting stories with VA athletes recently.

1) With a place in my heart, I report that Division 3 Randolph Macon (my brother's alma mater) beat Division 1 George Mason in basketball. Yes the same GMU that made the Final Four.

2) Virginia native Allen Iverson is the talk of the town with his trade to Detroit. Yet he only scores 10 in his debut against Boston

3) University of Richmond alum, Tim Hightower is leading the Arizona Cardinals. He is playing in front of probowler Edgerrin James. James went to the highly covetted Miami, Hightower went to Richmond. James was at the NFL draft, Hightower was at Champps (yes the one I work at) when he found out. Now he is the big dog in the locker room.

4) Dear Mr. Vick (Virginia native) you are no longer needed. All of Atlanta and the NFL have forgotten about you. Matt Ryan is leading your team to the playoffs without flicking off the crowd...oh and he threw a TD with his first pass. That is enough about Virginia...but Matt Ryan leads into my thoughts for thoughts for the week.

I am sorry Kevin but Boston College is the best Catholic football team in the country. 6 straight wins. It is turning out that Charlie Weis is a genius who can't recruit.

To continue with college football...the Big 12 is awesome, the Big 10 is lame, USC is the Pac-10 and the SEC is difficult. Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Texas in a three way tie. It is possible, I hope it doesn't happen. Penn State lost...good. Alabama won...good. There is still so much to play. A playoff conversation would take another post.

The NFL according to Clint Eastwood...

The good: Tennessee Titans, New York Giants, Tony Gonzalez, Kurt Warner. TN still winning, Giants beat the Eagles, Gonzalez sets records, and Kurt Warner continues to make Leinert the highest paid clipboard holder.

The bad: Big Ben, Oakland Raiders, Browns. Ben took responsibility for the loss...3 interceptions he should (though I still will root for him), the Raiders and Browns suck, enough said.

The ugly: Detroit Lions, Daunte Culpepper, and Kansas City. The Lions missed their chance to beat the Jags. 3 touchdowns for MJD. He is shorter than me. Daunte...threw an INT on his second pass. You are not the answer. Herm Edwards: I know that you have only won 1 game, don't go for the 2 point conversion. It is not smart, you are not the Broncos. Their coach is smart, you aren't.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Blasphemy, don't tell me that Jimmy Clausen wasn't a top notch recruit. Plus in the hierarchy of Catholic Football teams it goes O'Dea, Notre Dame, everyone else.

MMK said...

I was trying to be nice and not say that it is Notre Dame that is at fault and blame it on Weis. Choosing two coaches (Weis and Willingham) who have not proven that they can recruit makes me think that it is a problem of recruiting. Or I could just say that South Bend, Indiana is where blue chip football recruits go to disappear...they have some basketball talent. Hell Charlie Weis is making phone calls for the field hockey recruiting, what is going on with football.

Unknown said...

Take that Hawaii!