
This weekend had a number of highs and lows for me as a football fan, both Saturday and Sunday.
I have to admit that I am a college football fan first and an NFL fan second. So Saturday was a good day for me because there were great games and unbelievable moments.
Saturday's Highs
Florida State v Georgia Tech...this was a great game despite the 75 minute lightning delay. There have been talks about firing Bobby Bowden and that he has lost his ability to lead a national powerhouse program. Though they lost in the end, Florida State scored 5 touchdowns in the first half on five possessions. Bowden is a great coach and the board of trustees should not be talking about the coach's future in the middle of the season. Georgia Tech was not so shabby either, they scored 14 points each of the first three quarters. I have to say that Florida State and Georgia Tech show that the ACC still has a lot to play for...I look forward to the game between Tech and Virginia Tech next weekend.
Texas and Alabama...they continued to show their dominance. Texas was behind at the half against Colorado but score 28 points in the second half to win. And Alabama won big despite only 1 touchdown. I love these two teams for #2 and #3. I would love to see this as the national championship...sorry Gator fans.
Sam Bradford made his return for Oklahoma. His arm strength looked like it took a hit from his shoulder injury. This weekend's game was a good testament to his will and his work ethic. His technique looked great and he threw for one touchdown against a competent Baylor team. It is great to see this Heisman Trophy candidate get back for the season especially with the game against Texas next.
I cannot go without saying that my beloved Vols beat up on the Georgia Bulldogs. That's right...Lane Kiffin's struggling squad showed their ability with a 45-19 win. Go Vols!!
Saturday's Lows
The lowest for me was the Florida/LSU game. I had high hope for this game. Tim Tebow returned to the field after that terrible concussion. But I think that Urban Meyer played it a little safe with Tebow and the Gator offense. Though they were able to hold onto the game and the victory I think that Florida showed a little weakness in this game. LSU did not look like the #4 team in the country. The offensive line could not hold the Gator defense from getting to their sophomore quarterback and he looked a little tentative in the pocket. To go further, when the Tigers were driving in the second half, the offensive line had two motion penalties to go from 2nd and 5 to 2nd and 15. You cannot do this against any team when you have a young quarterback; you definitely cannot do this against Florida, one of the fastest defenses in the country. The Gator secondary is spectacular and long yardage makes them even better. I was hoping to see a good offensive game but rather I saw a low scoring, mistake ridden game.
Sunday's Highs
My highs for the NFL are probably the same for most analysts. Cincinnati has shown that a good, healthy quarterback is important. Carson Palmer has looked great so far this season. The Bengals have beaten the Packers, Browns, Steelers and the Ravens so far this year. They have tgaken charge of the AFC north by beating all three of their competitors. The next four games look to be difficult...Houston, Chicago, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. The impressive Bears could be a great challenge for the Bengals and the playing the Ravens and Steelers for a second time could mean more barn burners for the AFC north.
The Broncos are my other high. As I spoke about Brandon Marshall last week, I think that his 2 TDs this week really showed his teammates that he cares about the success of the Broncos. This 5-0 team is showing that they have something that can challenge the rest of the league. Coach Josh McDaniel was elated to defeat the Patriots and his former boss, Bill Belichek. I think that the passion McDaniel shows is great to see, rather than the stoic personalities of Belichek, Tony Dungy, and other head coaches. I also think that the post game interview with Marshall showed his maturity and love of Denver. He was interviewed wearing a Colorado Rockies jersey and hat...I would not have said this prior to the season but I think that is a class act.

My final high for Sunday would be Owen Schmitt of the Seattle Seahawks. I am biased in that Schmitt is from Fairfax, VA, but I love his intensity even though his pregame ritual ended in some blood...his own. For those of you who don't know (or haven't watched any football highlights) Schmitt hits himself in the forehead with his own helmet, this is something that he has done since his days at West Virginia. And you must realize that the Seahawks did shut out the Jaguars.
Sunday's Lows
The Broncos would also have to be on my lows as a special teams player. I thought the Broncos would be out of the game because of one drive. The Patriots were punting from inside their own 5 yard line and the Bronco punt defense ran into the punter and allowed the Patriots a first down. The defense then stopped the Pats again and once again the punt defense committed a penalty and allowed a first down for the Pats. Luckily for the Broncos, the defense held again but the Patriots then punted to the two-yard line. Kyle Orton did lead the Broncos on a 98-yard drive for a touchdown to Brandon Marshall (see highs).
Dre Bly of the San Francisco 49ers would be another low...after intercepting a pass from the Falcons' Matt Ryan, Bly started to high step and celebrate when the Falcons' Roddy White chased him down, forced a fumble and the Falcons got the ball back. I understand that some players will high step into the endzone and may have some other touchdown antics...but Bly was not even over the 50 yard line. He was at the 40!?! Mr Bly: your team is losing 35-10 in the third quarter and you are not getting a touchdown, please don't do that. Coach Singletary is going to hurt you...
The final low would be the Buffalo Bills. I had hope that the Cleveland Browns would be on track to lose 16 in a row with their final game against the Detroit Lions. But alas the Bills are worse than the Browns and in a dreadful game fall 6-3. That is disgusting and makes one ask why the Buffalo fans are so die hard?
Hopefully things will continue to be good with rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez and the Jets against the Miami Dolphins tonight...
No comments:
Post a Comment