Last night and early this morning all I could think about was Lionel Ritchie singing "All Night Long"...as Connecticut lost to Syracuse in the Big East Tournament in 6 overtimes. I know that everyone who watches SportsCenter knows about this story but I can honestly say that I watched the game. Working at a sports bar helps, but I could not take my eyes off the screen. All the shots and opportunities and all the missed shots really show how exciting March really is. If this doesn't say March Madness I don't know what does. Let's not forget that Syracuse has to play again today. Let's see how can I sum up the game in a way that you may not know and that really shows the excitement of this time of year...
- Jonny Flynn (Syracuse) played 67 of 70 minutes, a seventy minute game is equal to more than one and a half full games
- Syracuse did not have the lead in overtime until the 6th overtime
- 8 players fouled out
- the score in overtime was 56-46 (that's 102 points)
- Paul Harris (Syracuse) had 29 points and 22 rebounds
- in 3 of the 6 overtimes the score was 6 to 6
- 6 players had double-doubles (no player had a triple double while LeBron James has had three straight triple-doubles and none of those games have gone to overtime)
- Eric Devendorf (Syracuse) hit a shot at the end of regulation that would have ended the game but it was determined that the shot left his hand after the buzzer went off
- No players on the Connecticut roster have won a Big East Tournament game
While this game is the epitome of March Madness and Championship Week, you can also look at the other games played on Thursday...
- Kansas came into the Big 12 tournament as the top seed and lost to Baylor
- Oklahoma State beat Oklahoma in the same Big 12 tournament
- Arizona lost to Arizona State, almost solidifying that they will not make the NCAA tournament...they have made every tournament since 1984
- Also in the Big East tournament, Villanova beat Marquette on a shot at the buzzer
- West Virginia beat #2 ranked Pittsburgh in the Big East tournament, and they will play Syracuse today
I look forward to watching the rest of this weekend, and on Tuesday the tournament starts...oh how I love this time of year!!!
2 comments:
Yeah I wastched three of the overtimes but had to go to bed. i am truly into March Madness as I am sure that you know. Plus Hockey and Basketball playoffs are right around the corner and no one can forget that in April is the Masters. This month is truly a sports fan's heaven.
how did arizona make the sweet 16
Post a Comment